Thursday, May 24, 2012

Time Flies

As I sat at my 5th grader's graduation today, I was reminded of how fast time flies. I remember his little diapered bottom and bare feet running down the nearly empty halls of the elementary school where I taught. I could almost hear the custodians chuckle because he's found his way into the bathroom (where, admittedly, the acoustics are phenomenal) and he's belting out "Little Green Frog".

I watched him walk in the assembly with his classmates- tall, quiet. All those memories, flooding back, are of a much younger, louder, rowdy child. Those days are gone, he has embraced his role as a 'tween-ager, acknowledging us in a cool, aloof manner (in public). My baby is growing up.

Happy, merry graduation, young man. You have made me proud this year. You have stood up for your rights, defended your position, and handled yourself with grace when presented with some difficult situations. It is my hope that you also gleaned some important knowledge about people, reactions, and interactions.

I hope as you mature, you'll remember these few pieces of advice:

  • Everybody has a story that shapes their perception of the world. Be mindful of not only your own.
  • Stand up for what you believe.
  • Remember to temper your words with respect. 
  • A filter can make all the difference. 
  • Did I mention: A filter can make ALL the difference. ;)

I speak from experience.

I love you.
xoxo

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment